From:
Catherine Tapey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 1997 11:09:31 -0700
Thanks again to all who sent information regarding Multiple Sclerosis,
breastfeeding and medications. It was all very useful.

Now, a report.  Mom called yesterday (the 2nd) to tell me she was
returning her pump because she had decided she didn't need it anymore. I
asked if she had started the Copaxone yet. She said she had started it
about 2 weeks ago. I then cautiously asked if she was breastfeeding. She
said she was and that the reason she didn't need the pump anymore was
that her milk supply had finally come back up to meet baby's needs. She
also reports that she is functioning much better since beginning the
medication.

I had provided the information about Copaxone gathered from this list and
private e-mail to both the pediatric clinic and the outpatient pharmacist
at our military hospital and then encouraged mom to make an appointment
with ped to discuss her "problem". She did that and when she was through
she had the "blessing" of the ped to continue breastfeeding while using
the medication. Needless to say she and I are both thrilled that the
outcome was what we wanted. Now she is going to enlighten her neurologist
about the pediatrician's position.

Catherine Tapey, IBCLC
Anchorage, AK ([log in to unmask])