Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:39:14 EDT
Mary says,

> MRI came back late that day
> showing a small tumor.  Mother then told because of the meds she would
> be starting on in about two weeks to lower her prolactin levels, she
> could not breastfeed.  I discussed this briefly with another lc, and she
> confirmed that this most likely was the case because breastfeeding would
> increase prolactin level and mom needed to lower level.

Generally speaking, pituitary tumors are benign.  Why are they trying to
lower her prolactin?  Do they think this is causing the tumor?  Are they
doing it in preparation for surgery?  If it is not causing her any problems
other than inability to get pregnant, can she not breastfeed for 6 months to
a year and then go on the meds?  Or is the tumor causing headaches or other
symptoms?

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com