From:
Kim Ann Lorber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:27:11 EDT
I have had two scopes while nursing my 8 mth old. (I had two scopes in a
space of a week.) With the first it was with versed (midazolam)and fentanyl
and  then the second was with added propofol (diprivan) . I did not pump and
dump either time, by time I got home it was a couple hrs after I had  woken
up and just nursed and at that point my baby had never had a bottle nor
really eating solids so I needed to nurse him. I had to do the prep twice  and
used the Miralax prep because it is tasteless and OTC  and cheaper and
easy compared to the horrible tasting ones that require an Rx, and the  miralax
works just as well so I don't why more people don't use it or drs  don't
promote it. Here is a link in case anyone wants to see what my drs gave me
_http://www.gastroassociatesqc.com/forms/procedure%20preps/Miralax%20Preparatio
n.pdf_
(http://www.gastroassociatesqc.com/forms/procedure%20preps/Miralax%20Preparation.pdf)

Now with this info and even if you give her copies from Hale about these
meds the dr might STILL say no nursing etc etc. My first dr had refused to
do one since I was nursing and I even had brought the info saying it was ok.
But  really it came down to some other dr taking the responsibility for the
baby  since the baby is not the patient and the issue was not about the meds
 given. I feel like so many things in medicine comes down to liability and
not  wanting to take responsibility for things. This actually led me to have
a  4mth delay in getting dx with colorectal cancer because they didn't want
to do  the scope. I should have just lied about nursing but being the
lactation  advocate I wanted to educate them about it being ok for nursing moms
so the next  nursing mom behind me would have it easier.  (so 4 mths later I
didn't  tell them I was nursing they of course just assumed I would have
weaned such an  old baby and got the scope because educating them didn't
work!) Hopefully her drs will read and listen to medical evidence  about nursing
during scopes and of course mom should remember it really is up to  HER what
she wants to do.

I wish this mom the best and all her tests turn out for nothing.

Kim Ann Lorber
LLL Leader Quad Cities IA/IL
_http://cancercaughtme.blogspot.com/_ (http://cancercaughtme.blogspot.com/)

In a message dated 3/30/2011 6:48:30 A.M. Central Daylight Time,