From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 1997 13:23:47 -0700
>Ann Perry's is the 3rd baby I've heard about recently w/ foul-smelling
>stool.  Two were poor gainers, one has no other "problems".  What are some
>origins of stinky stools?

        If I saw a baby with the combination of foul smelling stool and poor
weight gain with a mother who demonstrated a good milk supply I would be
looking VERY carefully for metabolic problems. This could be classic first
signs of cystic fybrosis. Obviously one wants to be cautious and not go off
half cocked but all other things being normal I would be strongly suggesting
a medical check -- and communicate with the dr in advance so they understand
that this is not your average slow wt gain so don't treat it glibly.
        If the child is otherwise doing well I would look for other more
innocuous sources such as the mother's diet or 'enrichments' -- ie herbs,
vitamins, prescribed/ non prescribed medication.  What affects one
mother/babe may not affect another so I try to be open minded and suggest a
trial elimination of anything suspicious.
        Even if the child IS doing well and the problem persists it can be a
red flag if the child starts to falter when starting solids.

        I am no expert in this field so am interested in what others have to
add. Most of what I DO know comes thanks to the continued coaching of Agi
Ratcliffe of B.C. Children's Hospital.