From:
Philip Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 18:15:06 -0500
Tracy Kirschner, La Leche League Leader & Doctor of wrote:

> I would like to clear up some things up about my post. I was not nor am I
> advocating the use of goats milk for this family. I was asked about formula
> and that was the first question in my post. It is for use in an SNS so it is a
> breastfeeding question. I told the midwife who called me that even though
> goat's milk is considered by many to be similar to human milk that it is for
> goats and I didn't think it was appropriate for human brain development. I
> offered to post the situation to the list and that they should contact their
> pediatrician.   As I contacted various resources I came across a product sold
> by a local GP called Ultracare. .  It is supposed to add calories and
> nutritional value to various milks for babies. I wanted to find out if anyone
> knew about this product.
> I feel a bit uncomfortable having to explain myself and receiving posts both
> privately and on the list insinuating that I don't know what I am doing. I had
> very little time last night and decided to post "just the facts." In the
> future, please ask for more details if you are unclear about the content of my
> posts before taking me to task.
> Sincerely,
> Tracy Kirschner, DC

For an adopted baby the only thing that I have been able to find out is that a
liquid formula, not a reconstituted posder, is essential if the milk will be used
in a supplementer of any type.  It could be either ready to feed liquid or diluted
concentrate.  As to the type of ABM - I refuse to get into this and refer the
parents to the pediatrician.  The parents don't like it too much when I refuse to
suggest a brand.

Oh and I never thought that you were the one advocating the goat's milk - it
didn't sound that way.

Sarah