From:
Lisa Papas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 11:03:32 EDT
In a message dated 8/31/2000 7:17:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I recently read the new 2000
 edition of Jonathon Brostoff and Linda Gamlin 'Food allergies and
 food intolerance' and in that they give some interesting theories and
 case histories involving migraines caused by food intolerances.

 If this avenue were pursued, especially in breastfeeding mums, many
 of the problems of drugs required and perhaps also problems with
 foods down the track in the babies, could be avoided. Worth
 considering, I reckon. >>

Coming from a family with a very strong history of migraines and having
suffered them myself,  I believe diet to be a crucial treatment for
migraines.  We live in a society that consumes food that is comprised of more
chemicals and additives than actual nutrition!  I myself eliminated my own
migraines by eliminating chemicals from my diet.  The worst offenders for me
were MSG, aspartame, and various chemical additives.  Vanillin (an artificial
version of the flavor vanilla) gives me a headache almost immediately after
ingesting it.  My mother has also stopped almost a lifelong dependance on
heavy duty meds for severe migraines by using diet as a tool of prevention as
well.   This approach serves breastfeeding mothers very well. It eliminates
exposing their babies to medications and improves their overall diet as well.
However, they have to be willing to do the work of reading labels and
eliminating chemically riddled foods.  BTW,  I also eliminated my son's
severe asthma attacks by eliminating food colorings and preservatives from
his food.  He has not had an attack in 4 years, with no meds and his peak
flow meter is normal.   Lisa Papas