From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:23:54 -0400
I totally agree that breastfed babies who are not on schedules are actually
the easiest to deal with when our lives are not scheduled...

However, there is also the second half of this equation, and that is the
temperament of the baby.  Since he was born, my second son was not easily
transitioned - from awake to asleep or asleep to awake, if he was in a car
seat (for a TRIP, not for care - he was in my arms otherwise) and he fell
asleep in what looked a terrible position, the mere moving him from one
position to another made him wake up and scream furiously.

Whereas my firstborn and my lastborn were easily awakened, traveled well,
adapted easily to whatever happened, he would be very upset if he was not
allowed his 2 hour nap in the AM and 2 hour nap in the PM - believe me,
that was NOT my "scheduling", as I had to take older son out to play often
(a very active child who now would have been medicated...but that's another
story), and as an at-home mom I really wanted to get my trips done in the
weekdays when stores were less crowded and pleasant.

This personality continued through childhood - moves were more traumatic
for him, his siblings would beg me not to wake him up for family dinner if
he fell asleep after school because that would mean an unpleasant
dinnertime, etc.  Despite this, he makes friends easily and has enjoyed
travel, backpacking through Europe, etc.

This is one reason that I always empower moms to "get to know their baby".
I certainly had to learn how to deal with 3 different personalities (even
now, as adults), and they will, too.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA