From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 15:21:36 -0500
Moooo!

It really drives me nuts to have breasts compared to udders.  Yes, they are
both mammary glands, but  humans and cattle are sooo different.  Udder
cream on a cracker for this doubting doc sounds like a wonderful appetizer.

Do not use udder cream or bag balm on a mom's breasts or your hands!  We
have a small herd of registered Hereford cattle (raised for beef, not
milk).  I wouldn't use it for my hands or our cows as it's ingredients
include anhydrous lanolin and propylene glycol (AKA antifreeze!).
Occasionally, we'll have a cow who has an injured udder, not from improper
latch, mind you, but from dragging it through the brush.  We'll apply some
bacitracin and Lansinoh to it.   It might be more expensive to use
Lansinoh, but it works!  If it's a deep cut, we'll also stitch it up, using
the same type of products perhaps used on a human-sterile water, suture,
xylocaine and a systemic antibiotic.

A lot of the veterinary medical products we use on our cattle are the exact
same products we use with humans-antibiotics, oxytocin, epinephrine,
xylocaine, etc.  The only thing that appears different is the "for
veterinary use only" label.

My advice-steer (no pun intended) clear of the bag balm for breasts, hands
and udders.

Maurenne in Kansas....it's an absolutely gorgeous day!