From:
Denise Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 1995 09:29:26 -0400
How timely all the discussion on jaundice has been this week.

Since I do call to new mothers two days after hospital discharge I am always
questioning them about issues relating to jaundice.  This week something
interesting has happened that I would like to track down a reason for.  Three
babies had very elevated biliruben levels before I even called them.  Two
were hospitalized (at 20 and 24) and one peaked at 17.  The pediatricians
intially felt I wasn't doing my job effectively, but I hadn't even been
scheduled to call before these incidents occured.

One I called back the day after baby was discharged and she was only
breastfeeding every 4 hours.  She got a very thorough explanation from me
about why she MUST wake that baby and feed every 2-3 hours!!!

The other came to see me to make sure latch-on was correct and effective.
 Baby did great, biliruben on this baby was coming down.

Third baby still in hospital as of Friday afternoon.

This is the first time in a year I have seen this happen.  Any ideas as to
why?  Coincidence or possible changes in management of labor?  I intend to
talk with the in-patient LC next week to see if she talked to them prior to
discharge.

Denise Parker, BA, IBCLC (La Crescenta, CA)