From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 14:56:47 -0500
I had a client who finally calmed her screaming baby by eliminating dairy.
She discovered a calm, happy, thriving child with foul-smelling (and often
green) stools.

We talked about the stools as a possible marker for some other problem, but
she decided that since the *only* symptom was the stools, she'd let it go.
He's now over a year old, still nursing, still thriving.  She's
reintroduced dairy into her own diet with no problems.  He's had cheese and
yogurt with no problems; he hasn't tried straight milk.

I just called her to confirm all this, and she said when he had a cold last
week his stools - and urine - were bad-smelling.  Now that he's better, the
diapers are better.  Teething also seems to make them worse.  She did
mention that she herself has had trouble in the past with irritable bowel
syndrome.  Which makes me wonder...

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY
YMHP (Is this a new trend?  I *like* it!  You have my permission to share/copy)