From:
Dianne Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:00:46 -0700
Hi Phyllis,

I know what you're saying about artificial infant feeding being the norm in
many people's minds.  I believe, however, that people like the woman who
wrote that piece really DO know, deep down, that breastfeeding is where
it's at, and, if she's being honest with herself, she'll *get* my
point.  Getting my point won't necessarily change the type of opinion
pieces she writes to get a rise out of her readership, but the truth won't
be lost on her.... a seed will have been planted.  I always trust in those
seeds and their potential to germinate at some point in the future!  :-)

You're exactly right about the more people take respond to her suggestion
to cover up and go to the restroom or some other hidden place to nurse, the
more artificial feeding remains the norm.  That's why I shout it from the
rooftops at our LLL meetings and to moms I counsel, to nurse whenever and
wherever they are.  Society needs to see this.

BTW,  I see you're from Lowell.  We recently moved to California from
Wrentham, MA (down by Foxboro, near Gillette Stadium)!

Thanks for taking the time to write,
Dianne Oliver, MA (Holistic Counseling Psych- Lesley College, Cambridge,
MA), LLLL, IBCLC
Simi Valley, CA