From:
Emily Duff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 21:01:43 -0400
hello,
i am an IBCLC in training. i am inspired to reply to this post because it could be me you
are talking about.  this resistant oversupply with plugs and mastitis is what i have been
dealing with for the past 11.5 months and i completely know your frustration.

First of all i want to say that i had a C-section. My second. Both births were not positive
experiences.....

i drank sage tea all day, ate altoids all day, ate bunches of raw parsley, full mechanical
drainage in the morning and block feeding all day, etc. nothing worked. One Dr. had me
taking 50mg of benedryll every night before bed for a week. then they gave me 60mg
sudafed every 6 hours for a week. still my supply was huge, no change....except for the
fact that i was now as dry as can be on a cellular level.  15 mastitis later - 7 treated with
full 10 day courses of various antibiotics - and now a leaky gut....here is what i have
learned.....

1. it's not about reducing the milk supply. it's about normalizing the mother's system.
what i did to reduce inflammation:  *****NUTRITION: eliminated dairy, gluten, soy, eggs
and corn from my diet.  increased my Cod liver Oil intake (i use blue ice fermented cod
liver oil - 6ml per day), added taurine, mammary PMG (standard process), Vit B6,
Drenatrophin (standard process), Natural Calm powder (2x a day) and Castor Oil
compresses.  (i saw a chiro/kinesiologist who muscle tested for allergies and diagnosed
me with a klebsiella bacterial infection and inflammation in my pituitary gland - he
prescribed homeopathic remedies which helped dramatically).

2. You do not need Antibiotics for plugs and mastitis.  Homeopathy is best here. For the
right breast I use phytolacca when i feel the plug coming on and belladonna when i see
the red streaks of a mastitis. for the left breast I use Lachesis mutus.  My last 8 mastitis
were cured using homeopathy. the pain was less intense and the duration of the mastitis
were much shorter than with antibiotics. Probiotics were used by me and my baby who
has a bad gut as well (thanks to the abx).

3. Co-sleeping: My supply increased at night for some reason. having my son in bed with
me to nurse on demand helped tremendously.

4. Check for Tongue Tie: My son was checked at 9 months for TT (position 3 posterior
diagnosed) and was clipped. we followed this up with craneo-sacral therapy for his jaw &
milk transfer improved.

At almost 1 year nursing my supply is still huge but i consider it "under control."  My
breasts are flaccid yet very full at all times.  my supply fluctuates with my diet and the
amount of sleep i get - which is little since my son does not sleep through the night -
which is probably a good thing since i need him to relieve me.  my let down is still
noticable but not always painful.  thanks to Jennifer Tow, I have a much better
understanding of my body and it's uniqueness when it comes to my supply. my
relationship with my son has developed and grown with that understanding and the
frustration has turned to meditation and new ways of seeing.  I remain challenged by my
resistant oversupply but now i see that normalizing a system that is "damaged" takes
time and is a process.  i can say with experience that there is no quick fix here.

Good Luck.
Em Duff, NYC