From:
Judith Hayman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:08:38 -0400
Truly said:  There are MANY pathways to IBCLC and not all are clear.  I
did fifteen years of breastfeeding counselling before I did any formal
education _specific_ to the subject, and I did that course work in
preparation for the exam. But that was because I'm a nurse and was
working with maternal-child clients.  I honestly don't know how people
do the more complex science parts of the preparation without a formal
background in science/health science, but you do, and major
congratulations to you.  That's really hard.

Perhaps one of the more valuable parts of my nursing education was the
socialization process:  inculcation into the role of health care
provider, confidentiality, code of ethics, following the directives of a
governing body.  There are some things I just wouldn't dream of doing
and they are instilled by the education process.

But I ramble.  Perhaps, like audiologists, chiropodists, chiropractors,
dental hygienists,  dentists, dental technologists, denturists,
dietitians, massage therapists, medical laboratory technologists,
medical radiation technologists, nurses, midwives, naturopaths,
occupational therapists,  opticians, optometrists,  pharmacists,
physicians & surgeons, physiotherapists,  psychologists, respiratory
therapists, speech language pathologists, we need to seek a different
status.

The term Lactation Consultant is not protected under law.  Certainly not
in this province that I can find.  Nor is IBCLC protected, again, that I
can find.  IBLCE doesn't exist as an entity in Canada.

IBLCE may be accredited by NOCA but that doesn't make lactation
consulting legislated health profession in the US, and gives it
precisely no standing in other countries UNDER LAW.  IBLCE is a
non-profit corporation, not the equivalent of a legislated college
(Canada) or board (US -- and I don't know elsewhere).  So, while
NCCA/NOCA ensures that IBLCE sets high standards and the IBCLC is an
earned credential that reflects those standards, it still doesn't have
standing as a health profession.

And it ought to!

Judith

Judith Hayman, RN, IBCLC, BSc, BScN
Public Health Nurse & Lactation Consultant
Ontario, Canada