From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:15:40 EST
What are some of the tenets in *your* personal code of ethics?, asks Diane.

I have stated this before in a previous post, I believe, and it sums up how I
feel about my work with mothers and babies.  I strive to do what is good and
right.  And to briefly expound on what this means, I will offer the truth,
based on evidence and current research, so that mom (parents) can make informed
decisions.  I will show warmth and understanding, trying always to meet mom
where she is at the moment, and then provide gentle guidance as warranted by her
situation.  I feel as Pam does that if I don't know something, I'll let mom
know that upfront and then go find her the answer.  I feel a responsibility to
confer with and refer to others with more expertise than I, when I am
uncertain.  And my ethics require me to contact mom frequently and for as long as she
needs and wants for ongoing support in addition to follow up.

I take care of myself by laughing frequently and fooling around with my
family, so I don't take life so seriously all the time.  I also, on a serious note,
 always talk about things that upset me (sometimes to the chagrin of my
family).

And, Diane, I love your ethic  "always to leave a mother feeling stronger and
more optimistic than I found her."  It is very powerful and poignant.  I'll
copy your post and others and hang them in plain sight to remind me why I do
what I do in times of stress; thank you for starting this thread.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC