From:
Sue Ann Kendall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 09:34:54 -0500
I was asked to forward this to you from Trisha Noack, who coudl not do it
herself. She hopes that we can drum up some public protest against this
shady activity.

If you have questions, send them to her (address below). I am no NOMAIL so
I will not see any questions on the list.

Sue Ann Kendall

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 19:14:49 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: RED HOT!!!
>
>June 18, 1996
>
>Dear Friend of Breastfeeding,
>
> Ross Labs and parent company Abbott Laboratories, according to a newspaper
>article from the Columbus Guardian, are about to file for a permit which
>would make them a Foreign Trade Zone.
>
>This permit would, "allow Abbott/Ross (A/R) to import milk and sugar which
>may not meet U.S. standards, paying prices well below U.S. domestic products,
>then process it into formula that also may not meet U.S. standards and export
>it to markets where - judging from past practice- the company may market it
>in violation of international covenants, all to realize a greater profit."
>
>A/R currently controls 53 percent of the  $2 billion U.S. infant formula
>market and with two other firms controls 90 percent of the market. According
>to the article they are changing their market strategy to reach foreign
>markets because breastfeeding rates are rising in the US and because they can
>make a better profit under this plan. A/R has paid over $170 million in the
>past 3 years alone to settle multiple price-fixing cases, in addition to many
>other dealings which are regarded as "shady."
>
>This permit will be issued by the U.S. Commerce Department in the name of the
>Rickenbacker Port Authority, the sponsoring agency.  So far the agency has
>only received letter of support for the plan. If you have comments about the
>Abbot/Ross plan to become a Foreign Trade Zone, address your comments to one
>of the following by JUNE 24.
>
>U.S. Department of Commerce, 4th Floor
>37 North Columbus Street
>Columbus, OH  43215
>
>or
>
> Office of the Executive Secretary, Foreign Trade Zones Boards
>U.S. Department of Commerce, Room 3716
>14th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW
>Washington, D.C.  20230-0002
>
>Sincerely,
>

>Trisha Noack

Sue Ann Kendall, Kynan and Declan's mother, editor, La Leche League Leader
LLLI World Wide Web Coord.,  LLL of Ill. Dist. Advisor,  Champaign, IL USA
[log in to unmask]          LLLI WEB SITE: http://www.prairienet.org/llli/
Charter Member: Wise Women of the Web  Co-Owner, SAH-FEMLIST and one other