From:
"Diane L. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 1995 01:24:14 -0400
I am pleased to say that at the teaching hosp in my area, babies in the NICU
are generally encouraged to breastfeed very early.  The institution is also
quite williing to send a 34 weeker under 4#8oz to the nl NBN and D/C the next
day!!  Of course the infant presented in the health dept. fairly jaundiced
and not latching on well.  At least the mother had the sense to get help
early.  The baby is now almost 4mos old and totally breastfed-a little small
but appropriate.  That baby was spared many unnecessary procedures and risk
of infection by being D/C early with careful followup in the community.  When
I worked at a private hosp that infant would have been admitted to the
NICU/SCN  without a second thought.  Gene Cranston Anderson had obviously
lasting influence here.:)--Diane