Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:47:14 EST
I think it's not quite as you say, Carol.

["oh come on, now, i thought the milk was constantly being reabsorbed and
remade, which is why the relationship between alcohol in the blood (which is
constantly falling as it is metabolized) and alcohol in the milk stays the
same and you don't have to pump and dump (how i hate that phrase, makes milk
sound like toxic sludge)."]

Once the milk is made, it stays made and stays in the ducts and sinuses.  But
some chemicals in the milk, like alcohol, can go either way through the cell
walls, so as blood alcohol level drops, the milk alcohol travels to the area
of lower concentration while the milk stays behind.

I think the notion of the cream rising within the breast---although I did
once whimsically suggest that might happen---is pretty far-fetched.  To my
mind, there's a big difference between a passive container, like a bottle of
milk on your doorstep or in your refrigerator, and a dynamic milk-generating
living system, like a lactating breast.

Peace to all,
Chris Mulford
Swarthmore  PA  USA