From:
Paul & Kathy Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 11:02:10 -0700
Hi Lactnetters,=20
I have another eye related "reason to wean" for you.  My brother is a =
grad student at Iowa State.  One of his fellow students has a new baby.  =
At about 2 months of age, this baby had an eye infection.  The mother =
was told by the ped that this was caused by breastfeeding and would go =
away when she weaned.  This info was relayed by the baby's father to my =
brother who then asked a med student friend how/why this was possible.  =
The med student said he thought it was becasue the baby was near the =
mother's breast alot and the breast (i.e. skin) was dirty, therefore =
causing the infection.  Needless to say, I shot off a message to my =
brother (this was all over e-mail) with more breastfeeding  info than he =
probably wanted to know and suggested that the mother's breastmilk might =
even help her baby's eye infection if she applied directly to the eye.  =
I never got an update on this so I don't know how it turned out.

Kathy Koch
Oak Harbor, WA (soon to be Alexandria, VA)