From:
Chris Mulford RN IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 18:47:53 -0400
Date:    Fri, 18 Jul 1997 00:16:35 -0700
From:    Joe Gulker <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Supplementing Formula

<he would like to know what type of formula to use in
the case of supplementation. >

supplementing breastfed babies, these comments:
1.  I agree that we shouldn't call it "supplementing."  I'd call it
"replacing."
2.  My answer when parents ask is to refer them to their pediatrician.  I
figure that pediatricians see many formula fed babies (in the USA) and have
more opportunity to observe the effects of formula than I have.  This
attitude presupposes that pediatricians are making disinterested observations
and drawing conclusions about the effect of feeding babies on different
substances, just as LCs and bf counselors draw conclusions about the effects
of mothers' diet on breastfed babies.
3.  Since it is a pediatrician who is asking, I would discuss with him
     a) the "scientific and factual "sources of information available to him
from the manufacturers---or lack thereof;
     b) his responsibility for observing babies in his practice and drawing
conclusions from his observations.  Then,
4)  I would ask what his opinion is and how he arrived at it.

If people asked me which is the "best" formula for a breastfed baby, I would
remind them that all the companies are trying to be "closest" to mothers'
milk, and all would like to claim that their product is the one which IS
"closest."  I tell them that there are three major categories: dairy-based,
soy-based, and substances specially treated to reduce the risk of allergic
reactions (very expensive).  As far as I know, all of the companies make all
three kinds.  For the parents, it's a matter of being an informed
consumer---on behalf of their baby, who is the ultimate consumer and doesn't
have a choice.

In other words, I choose NOT to advise people about which product to buy,
because I have very little sound information on which to base a
recommendation.