From:
Christine Lichte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:12:58 -0400
Hi everyone. I know this is an old story, but I am getting frustrated with
all of the “problems” I am seeing at work.  I know why we have most of
these problems, but of course nobody wants to hear about it.  It seems like
most of the breastfed babies are fussy and moms complain about how gassy
they are.  Since I don’t work with formula feeding moms I don’t hear what
problems they have.  Do they have fussy babies in the hospital?  I have a
thought about all of these so called gassy babies.

At a conference I learned a lot about the benefits of skin to skin.  One of
the things that stands out is how s-to-s can affect digestion and
metabolism and stress levels.  I know what happens to a stressed adult—they
usually complain of problems relating to digestive system.  Do you think
the lack of s-to-s can result in a baby suffering stress related problems?
Of course, most of these babies are “gassy” during the night, because I
always hear about it when I come in the morning.  Which brings me to
another thought.

Dr. Harvey Karp’s book makes a lot of sense and so far I have been able to
calm many babies.  I know a lot of these babies are not “gassy “ at all.
And I am so tired of hearing how mom must have eaten something terrible for
supper, or how their baby had a bad stomach ache during the night.  The
frustrating thing is when these babies are given formula they appear to
become the perfect angel!

I could go on and on and I know all of you deal with this stuff too.  Since
I am the only LC I have no one to rant to so I like to “talk” with all of
you.

Another thing I am seeing more of (I have been in the hospital for almost 2
years now) is the problems moms deal with as a result of an epidural.
Never mind the problems it causes baby!  Just last week we had three moms
that had high blood pressure problem and I am sure it is from all of the
gallons of fluids we give moms.  Even the nurses think the moms are given
too many fluids.  Also I see a lot of failed labors after epidurals are
started that lead to c/s.  We drown our mothers and they pay the price.  By
the way, thanks Jean for your RPS.  It has saved the day more than once!

I have the new book about how birthing practices affect breastfeeding.  It
is a wonderful book.  I showed it to the Doctors at a meeting and mentioned
a few things.  I ironically spoke after the Kiwi vacuum sales rep talked
and he stated that the only thing you need to tell mom is that the crown on
their baby’s head is from the vacuum and not to worry because it goes away
in 48 hours!  I stated that that you may also want to inform the mother
that the “crown” may also be the reason that their baby can’t breastfeed,
or won’t wake up to feed, or is fussy from a headache!

It is always a treat when I get to work with a mom who actually had a
natural delivery, even a little fentanyl is not so bad in comparison!  Her
main complaint is usually sore nipples and a baby that wants to eat all of
the time!  I can deal with those problems!  Even planned c/s aren’t so bad
in comparison!

Thanks for your time.

Christine Lichte, IBCLC