From:
"Hamill, Shirley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 15:47:03 -0500
Does anyone have any research articles or information defining the need to
keep Breastfed babies NPO for one hour prior to circ or on the contrary, why
it is not necessary to make them NPO prior to circ? We have a policy in the
hospitla where I work to keep babies NPO prior to circ to decrease the risk
of aspiration. It seems the aspiration of formula is a higher and more
dangerous risk as babies tend to be bottle fed a larger quantity but
breastfed babies get much less of the much safer colostrum. I have searched
the archives and found this to be discussed in the past but the archives
didn't site any literature that I could get a hard copy of to share with the
physicians in the hospital. Thanks!
Shirley Hamill RN, IBCLC