From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 13:44:00 GMT
Hi Ros
Nice to see so many Aussies on Lactnet.
With regard to your client with the tandem feeding children and possible breast biopsy.
Why is the biopsy considered necessary? Often assessment with ultrasound and fine needle
aspiration (much less invasive) will give surgeons the information they need. If a biopsy is
necessary, then I don't see why she needs to wean. Most reports I have read (most anecdotal)
suggest that wounds heal ok after a biopsy, even if a drain is in. I agree with someone else
on Lactnet recently who suggested that a drain on suction will actually increase the amount
of milk drained (the breast can't tell the difference between a sucking drain and a sucking
baby :)  Usually drains are better left on 'straight drainage' eg no suction. If the incision
is far enough away from the areola, then feeding can often carry on uninterrupted. I know
Wendy Brodribb did a paper for the LRC in 1992 'Breastfeeding and Breast Surgery' and
Wendy Nicholson presented a paper at the ALCA Conference in 1994 on a similar topic (LRC
has copy of that too.)  Hope this helps

Fiona Coombes
Family Physician, IBCLC, NMAA Counsellor
Perth Western Australia.