Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:58:36 +1300
Dear Lactnetters
               I have a problem that I have never encountered before. I
wonder if anyone can help me. The mother developed a generalised hardness of
one breast in the last 6weeks of pregnancy.It presents as a very solid
breast but the nipple and areola area are still soft. A shelf of hardness
commences about 2cm from the nipple and lasts right up to the chest wall. We
expected it all to come right after breastfeeding was established. This
hasn't happened. Breastfeeding has been going well on the other breast but
the affected one hasn't changed. It has never produced more than a few drops
of milk with the baby suckling or with expressing. The hardness has never
shifted and we have tried all the usual massage and heat, as well as a
vibrator. We stopped trying after about 3weeks expecting the hardness to go
down when stimulation was withdrawn. It is still hard and uncomfortable 3
weeks later, baby is now 6weeks old. Any ideas on what the problem is.Her
doctor is stumped too. I would appreciate hearing from you.
Regards
Robyn Dunning NZ
RN,RM,IBCLC