From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2006 13:16:37 -0700
 Thanks, Magda, for your message:

"We should remember that without different viewpoints we risk creating a
hegemonic definition of what breastfeeding is and what breastfeeding support
is, and seeking to enforce these on all of the women we can reach.  How
would that be helpful?"

I was just caught off-guard the other day when I suggested that child care
workers be taught basic breastfeeding information - so that instead of
stressing a working mother by saying "you're not bringing enough milk" she
would be supported, given some suggestions about ways to increase her milk
supply and referred when these did not work".

"I would REALLY NOT WANT THEM to be giving breastfeeding advice to mothers",
I was told.

This is so much out of my philosophy as to make me feel that a gauntlet was
thrown on the floor in front of me and it took all my self-control to not
lead the discussion in this direction - something that would have been
totally inappropriate given the venue.

1. I believe that EVERYONE in contact with a mother who has CORRECT
breastfeeding information instead of myths is a PLUS - no matter their
education or profession.

2. I believe child care workers, and janitors, and clerks in the store are
ALREADY giving mothers breastfeeding "advice" - if I can find a way to
provide them with education to have them offer CORRECT
advice/information/resources - I believe it can only be for the better!

3. I, and many of the moms I know, never needed "professional interventions"
- but I DID need a LOT of hand-holding, talking, support, etc.  In order to
create the "breastfeeding supportive community" NON-professionals will also
need to be targeted - employers, restaurant workers, clerks in the stores!

Now Magda brought up a point - that there are different philosophies in the
breastfeeding community - and some of us really straddle it.  I am a Public
Health Nurse, I must visit mothers and I DO use scales - I see babies that I
truly believe should have still been in the hospital - but I also am a La
Leche League Leader and encourage mothers to come the the group meetings (as
you all know that is NOT of "financial benefit" to me!).

Just like when we follow-up another IBCLC, I ask that we listen to each
other carefully and find the "seeds of truth" that exist in every message
given.  Remember that those who participate in this list have a passion,
knowledge and experience that no one else has - and has valuable points to
offer.  At times, in trying to keep our messages short (and BOY I've gone
past my limit today), and also often (THANKS FOR DOING THIS) not in the
author's mother-tongue, the message may not give all the nuances and
information to totally provide the background of what the writer had seen
and experienced.  Let's clarify/discuss - but NOT "throw down the gauntlet"
which may lead to no more discussions - and no additional learning - for any
of us!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California, USA