Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 22:55:35 EDT
Well, it's official. The hospital in my town has organized a committee to
investigate Baby Friendly Certification. This is the hospital which doesn't
have a IBCLC on staff, and has most breastfeeding babies going home on EBM in
bottles with ABM supplements. I have collected data each year from LLL, the
Health Dept and my practice on the problems Moms call about and nipple
confusion is always the leading problem.
Does anyone know if the Baby Friendly Certifying committee invites, or
discusses   the BFing climate of the community with LLL or LC's in the
community?  I was discussing this with some sympathetic staff members who
recognizes the deficiencies but refuses to come forth. They couldn't believe
this hospital would do anything but put on a good show for the committee.
Someone even said that if the Baby Friendly people talks with parents, the
hospital would probably "plant" parents and make sure they had a good birth
and Bfing experience and prim them to give the right answers.
Remember, this is the hospital with the Ped who told the Mom the baby blew
air in the breast. Also with the Ped who says that ABM and human milk is the
same, calorie for calorie and it doesn't make any difference in the life span
of a human being. And don't forget the Ped who says that babies should nurse
no more then 10 min on each side, every 4 hrs in order to allow time for the
breasts to "fill up". Also the hospital who wrote a letter to me ( I have it
still ) and stated that an IBCLC would never be on staff there.
I guess I'll write and volunteer to serve on the committee as the only
practicing IBCLC in the area.
I am still working on the proposal for the Lactation Center. After I get that
done, we are going to mail it to all Dept chairs at the Med school, the Board
of Directors, the CEO, the Director of Women's services etc--everyone. Maybe
then someone will take notice.Thanks to all who responded.

Barb Whitehead, IBCLC