From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 01:22:35 -0400

>From:    Christina Costa <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Get ready, more headaches on SIDS and pacifier use
>
>I would LOVE to see a study on the following: Let's just say that using a
>pacifier does in fact reduce the risk of SIDS, well, what if in the place of
>a pacifier the baby was sucking on the breast while co-sleeping with the
>mother all night. What if that reduced the risk of SIDS even more??

Well, yes, that would be interesting... The studies we're looking at
are, of course, retrospective. In this latest one, it seems that the
parents were asked by grief counsellors about position and use of
pacifiers, right? So here the question to be asked to the parents would
be: "Was the baby actively sucking when he died?" or "Was he latched on
just before he died?"

What's your hypothesis? Mine is that yes, fewer babies will die from
SIDS while sucking on a breast than on a pacifier.

Jo-Anne