From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:57:26 EDT
I'm wondering if someone could explain how to differentiate between newborn
acne (seborrheic dermatitis) and allergic rash?  (any references with
pictures?)  A baby I saw recently, one month old, had severe pinpoint rash covering her
face, back of her head, and areas of yellow exudate on eyebrows and various
other smaller areas.  No rash visible on neck, chest or back.

How severe can rash be and still be considered "newborn acne?"  Is the oozing
considered infective?  I instructed r/o infant sensitivity to detergent in
clothing/sheets by adding vinegar to rinse cycle and then running rinse cycle
again and using breastmilk on face, especially areas of oozing.  Pedi stated it
was merely newborn acne.  Infant is fussy at breast but latching issues also
present.  Thank you.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC, RLC