From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 15:04:54 -0500
Since my course was mentioned by name in a recent post, I'd like to clarify
the difference between courses and credentials.

1. A course will teach you something about a topic. For obvious reasons, a
longer course can teach more about a subject than a shorter course. Some
courses ask that the student do additional reading outside of class. Those
students that DO the reading will ultimately learn more, and will probably
get more out of the in-class sessions as well. At the end of any course, the
student will (hopefully) know more than when they started.
2. Some courses have a test at the end to see if the student mastered the
material. If the student passes, they are issued a document that says "on
this day, the student learned the stuff we taught." Completion documents are
often used by employers as demonstrations of a certain level of competence.
Example: BLS certification (Basic Life Support or Cardio-Pulmonary
Resuscitation), ACLS certification (Advanced cardiac life support),
Lifeguarding Certificate, Water Safety Instructor Certificate, etc.
3. Course-specific "certificates" are as good (and only as good) as the
agency/association/course sponsor. Certificate courses run by nationally
recognized organizations, like the American Heart Association's BLS courses,
are more valid than Joe Schmoe's Heart Attack Rescue Course taught only in
Podunk, Ohio. (phony name used for example only). To date, there are no
international standards for lactation courses. ILCA has been working on this
project since 1992 with the help of many people in lactation and educational
fields. The lactation course directors, IBLCE and ILCA representatives are
continuing to actively pursue this issue with more meetings scheduled for
1999. Comments can be sent to [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
4. The IBLCE examination is NOT the same as a document issued at the end of
a course, regardless of the title of that document, the length of the
course, or even the quality of the course. There are some excellent
lactation courses around of various lengths. In fact, I'll go on record to
say that all of the lactation courses that I know of, at this writing, are
decent programs as they are advertised. My point is that ANY
course-completion document, from any course, is NOT THE SAME as the IBLCE
credential.
5. (For example,  I could take a 1-semester course in basic bookkeeping
through my community adult education program, pass the test at the end, and
earn a Certificate in Pretty-good Accounting. This is a far cry from being a
Certified Public Accountant!  Would I know more about bookkeeping than when
I started? Yes. Is this enough knowledge for the work I do? Maybe. Am I as
good at bookkeeping as a Certified Public Accountant? Of course NOT!)
6. No exam is perfect. There are some "false positives" in every profession.
We probably all know of a nurse, dentist, lawyer, teacher, pastor, or
mechanic who practices his/her profession badly. Disciplinary programs are
designed to remove the bad apples that slipped through the exam, and are
somewhat successful in removing the worst of the bad.
7. All teachers lead their students to the "water" of their field - in my
case, research-based lactation management. Some students drink deeply and go
forth nourished, excited, and motivated to improve. Other students only take
a sip, and later spit out the most carefully researched information
presented by the most talented, brilliant teachers. Some come to class with
only a minimal understanding of the topic; others come with a long legacy of
misunderstanding, and still others come with a wealth of understanding. The
novices are often overwhelmed, the misinformed are challenged and sometimes
threatened, and the skilled are reinforced in their beliefs. The biggest
challenge as a teacher is to meet the needs of ALL of these students with
patience, respect, integrity, and humor.

Such is the nature of education.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre http://www.bflrc.com
Lact-Ed, Inc.  http://Lact-Ed.com