Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:04:17 EDT
In a message dated 7/10/02 12:04:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Has anyone ever tried micro waving Medela parts? I was thinking maybe they
 could be sterilized that way? >>

 The tubing melts in the microwave. Speaking of working or stay at home moms,
not NICU. I advise not washing the tubing at all because it's difficult to
get moisture out of the tubes. The moisture usually turns into mold.
If milk or moisture is present in the tubes, I suggest running the pump for a
minute or two until tubes look dry. If that doesn't work, wash tubing in
soapy water. Swing the tubes over head to force the water out. Then, spray
alcohol (or the stuff Medela sells for cleaning. Can't remember the name of
the cleaning agent.) directly into the tubing. Swing the tubes over head
until all the moisture is out.
I don't recommmend removing the membrane all the time. I find that when moms
pull that membrane on and off all the time, it tends to tear. This causes
breakage and cracks on the valve, too. Then, the pump doesn't work. Rinsing
well seems to work best for my lady's.
Diane