Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 01:51:02 -0000
HI
  I am a medical technologist , Clinical Laboratory Scientist , by trade
.(In a former life before babies) Any others on line? Any way all the
posts on galactosemia have sent me scurrying for  my 15 or 20 year old
texts on Clinical Chemistry. Information posted so far matches except
that according to my sources (I will mail privately to those interested)
There is a range in the extent of enzyme deficiency. Each represents a
distictive genotype. It is NOT all or nothing.
 Estimates of the prevalence is 1 in about 20,000 births.for moderate
deficiency to
1 in 80,000 for total lack of enzyme.
  Many things can cause false positives, includuing heat, improper
handling , other enzyme deficiency, False positives rate  depends on what
method a lab uses. Any where from 1 in 100 to1 in 5000.
  LIver and lens damage may be reversible but neurological damage is not.
Aren't those results back on that baby yet?
 Mary Graden