From:
Marshalact <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 08:02:54 EDT
The discussion on formula discharge packs has occured many times here. The
archives are full of helpful suggestions on how to rid your institution of
this menace to breastfeeding. As before, I still am happy to make available a
handout I have on this subject. If you send a self addressed stamped envelope
I will mail this to you.

Hospitals do not actually have an excuse for accepting free formula. If they
purchase this product as food for patients it is added to the room and board
charge, so there is no such thing as we do not have the money in our budget.
What they lose is the large amounts of cash bribes from the formula companies
to accept the formula and give out the discharge packs. These are one of the
most effective forms of advertising they have. Given by the nurse and doctor
and sanctioned by the hospital-what could be better?

Since when do formula reps dictate health care to babies and mothers? Who
cares if the rep gets upset? If you want to get rid of this type of barrier to
breastfeeding then contact your Quality Improvement or Process Improvement
Department and ask that this issue be addressed as it is hindering proper care
of patients. Discharge packs are not therapeutic, they increase supplementing,
and elevate the risk of disease in babies and children.

Marsha Walker
254 Conant Rd
Weston, MA 02193