Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2010 08:15:01 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I for one feel that we are often put on the defensive by pseudofeminists such as Joan Wolf.  I still remember the days when women had no idea what their own reproductive parts, when many women didn't feel entitled to experience orgasm, and when sex was something only men seemed to enjoy.  The second wave of feminism (the first being when women fought for the right to vote) did change that at least.  But for some reason the pseudofeminists seem to think that the normal enjoyment that a woman is entitled to during an intimate moment with a partner is MORE important than the enjoyment of nourishing her child.  The latter has now become expendible.  It is interesting that now it is assumed that in some cases you have to SACRIFICE one for the other.  So, I'm thinking about the woman who wrote her column about breastfeeding being yucky.  One could probably Wiessingerize her whole argument and turn it around.  

Ditto for all the comments about how bad women are supposedly made to feel for formula feeding.  Think of the wealth of experience we have with women who are made to feel bad about breastfeeding!  I would argue that there are more formula nazis out there than breastfeeding nazis and nazis is a COMPLETELY inappropriate term to use.  Nazis committed genocide.  I know no La Leche League Leader who has argued in favor of genocide.  On the other hand, we have the silent genocide of third world infants through marketing of formula. And even "On the Media" once criticized the dead baby in a bottle image not realizing that the research shows that one million lives are lost a year due to not breastfeeding.  

Best, Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2