From:
Alicia Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2014 12:57:22 -0500
Hello Tricia,

That is a very interesting study in rats. However, vegetarian and vegan
diets are not reduced or low protein diets. Western culture tends to be
very protein focused and therefore we often think we need more protein than
we actually do. Several studies have shown that omnivores in Western
countries usually eat 3-4 times the protein they need daily, vegetarians
usually eat 2-3 times the protein they need daily and vegan usually eat
just the right amount or double what they need in a day. As a dietitian I
see this echoed in my practice as well. With most of my patients so focused
on protein that they fail to adequately nourish themselves from all the
other very important food groups.

It is also the position of most professional and academic organization
including the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that vegetarian and vegan
diets are healthy for all stages of life. Here is a quote from the
Academy's position paper:

"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that
appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan
diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health
benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned
vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the
life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and
adolescence, and for athletes."

Vegan and vegetarian diets have been studied extensively over the last 30+
years and studies have shown that vegan and vegetarian children grow
normally and at the same rate as meat eating children, and have lower
incidence and prevalence of heart disease, Type II diabetes and some
cancers going into adulthood. The references section of the above mentioned
position paper has a wealth of studies that point to the safety and health
of a vegan or vegetarian diet and show that it is in no way a low-protein
diet.

On an anecdotal note I have been a vegan for over 8 years. I have been
pregnant and am still nursing a vibrant, healthy 2 year old to this day.
She was normal weight and in the upper percentiles in length. She never
lost the initial weight that we normally see but, instead maintained her
weight at week 1 and gained 4 pounds in the first 3 weeks of life. She
stayed in the highest percentiles for weight and length until she began to
eat primarily solid foods now she is still in the upper percentiles for
height and following the normal growth patterns for a child her age (she's
around the upper 60s in terms of weight percentile). Being that I am a
maternal and pediatric dietitian who is also a vegan and has written
extensively about vegan diets I tend to see more vegan and vegetarian
clients than the average dietitian and lactation consultant. Not once have
I ever seen a trend of slow weight gain that was attributed to the mother's
diet.

Take Care,

*Alicia C. Simpson MS, RD, IBCLC, LD*
Maternal and Pediatric Dietitian
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant