From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 10:04:24 -0400
Dear Jay, I think the time we are talking about is the defining factor.
Are we talking about the first 2-7 days or after that?
What I mean is that we are looking at two different snapshots in time of
this infant.

I truly believe that volume of poop is the best indicator of intake in the
first week, then it "switches" to volume of pee and "regular" pooping.  By
that I mean on day 2, I expect 2 wet diapers, several smears or varying
amounts of mec.  Day 4 at least 4 wet and equal # poop.  Day 5-7 probably
6-8 wet and several good poops, changing color and consistency.  After day
7,  6 minimum wet, usually lots more and 1-3 poops daily until about 6-8
weeks when BF baby may begin to poop much less frequently. This is usually
seen in an obvivously thriving, growing baby.  Less poop and not obvivously
thriving and all  my red flags go up.

I've seen too many babies who pee lots and everyone is happy, but baby does
not gain.  I think most LCs & LLLLs will agree.

I also qualify what I'm saying by stating that #s such as I list above are
fallible.  I'm not focusing on #s, they are guidelines.  I'm looking at
baby and listening to what mom is saying about what is going on R/T
feeding, satiety, elimination.  Elimination is part of the whole.

I think part of the problem of what you see and look for  and what I see
and look for is colored by time & timing.  As LCs  and LLLLs we are
focusing on feeding and elimination and have more time to question and
observe.  As dr you are focusing on overall generalities of  well-being,
some of those based on long standing erroneous beliefs and theories about
BF physiology. and you get  a brief time to do it on  some day arbitraily
set by an insurance co.  We have the luxury of frequent contact, early on,
and time.

I hope I have been  clear about what I am trying to say :-) and you aren't
offended that I disagree with your statement re: urine as a valid
measurement of hydration.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ