From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:07:43 +0200
Dawn posted about a women who was warned to stop BF or face higher insurance
premiums to cover the anticipated costs of subsequent mastitis episodes.

This is incredible.  The same industry that carefully guards itself against
covering pre-existing conditions is trying to change the terms of coverage
already in effect, because of a condition arising AFTER the insurance policy
was drawn up.  I would be horrified, but not surprised, if this is legal.

Then, when she gets into the higher-risk-for-breast-cancer age group, will
they demand higher premiums again because she stopped BF before the
requisite 6 years total?  Will they refuse to cover expenses for her child's
allergies because she introduced other foods too soon?  Where do they get
off, anyway?

This is something for the insurance regulatory bodies to hear about, as
Monique pointed out.

I would love to know what company this is, so I can make sure never to use
them myself.  Please respond off the list to avoid liability.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway