From:
"A. Bon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:34:42 +0200
Heather wrote:

<<<My impression is, however, that women in *rural areas* still breastfed for
longer for some time. I have heard from Scottish friends that their rural
grandmothers breastfed according to a 9 month rule - this being the length
of pregnancy, and thought to be the 'right' time for bf. This was probably
exclusive, or mainly exclusive, bf.>>>

my observation of hte netherlands is the same. My mother only nursed me (one of 4), and my
grandmother did not nurse her 9 children, of only short. They lived in urban environment
(though from farmers families).

My mother in law nursed for 9 months (against the wishes of the docter, who warned for  the
DDT), my grandmother in law 2 years. They lived in a rural area.

It's my understanding that the decline in breastfeeding in the Netherlands early: While in
most counties of europa the mortality rates of children declined in teh 19th century, in the
Netherlands it raised due to lowering bf rates.

annelies bon
bf counsellor of the Dutch bf organization "Borstvoeding Natuurlijk"