Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 01:32:07 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Summer asked:
 The questions that I have for you are;
"1) Is there a point at which exercise can be too much on the breastfeeding mother resulting in nutritional deficit for the infant?"

I am not aware of any research that answers this question, but I am far more concerned about the nutritional deficit for mothers (and their infants) when they are not health-conscious. In my experience with moms, those who return to active exercise (myself included) tend to be more healthy overall than mothers who do not have an exercise routine.

"2) If so, are there any other measures that can be taken to counteract nutrition deficit with out decreasing exercise?"

Again, I am not convinced there would be any deficit to counteract. I do not even see rapid weight loss (as compared with inactive moms) as detrimental, as the mother is simply returning to her body's own norm. I personally practice wushu (Chinese martial arts--kungfu) and did so throughout my last pregnancy. I returned to training after a couple of months pp. My ds never resisted my milk, even when I left class to nurse him immediately. I also lost weight very rapidy, but he also grew very rapidly and I was thin before I was pregnant. I do wonder if there would be more concern if the mom had been overweight before her pregnancy, thus she would be mobilizing a lot more toxins than a mother who had already been thin, and excess body weight often correlates with diminished nourishment of the body.

What I am saying, based primarily upon observation and personal experience is that I would be inclined to conclude that healthier bodies grow healthier babies, both in utero and at the breast. And, those mommies would also be likely to feel much better--less tired, less stressed, etc than undernourished, non-exercising mothers would.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2