From:
Michelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:06:05 -0400
>the only thing that doesn't work about these analogies when used for
>comparison to bf v ffing is that we are almost all of us born with volvos in
>our drivew
>ays and fully paid scholarships to the ivy league college of our choice in
>our lockboxes when it comes to bfing!

Exactly!! that is why the comparison is WRONG, but it is closer to how the
average American seems to view it. In other words, it is not my comparison,
but one i imagine others think. Putting the two together would make a nice
"full" analogy though - to say the first, then correct it with the second -
I might use that :^)

I have been feeling bad about a woman I ran into who had asked for my help
last year. Fist baby not bf, at all, and she regretted it a little and
wanted to "try" with baby #2. she told me that she fed baby ABM as advised
in the hospital, and then when she got engorged, took hot showers and wore
tight bras. It just boggles my mind that someone would let that wonderful
milk go down the shower drain, bind up her chest, then go mix a bottle. Yet,
as you mentioned, these parents had the BEST car seat. With baby #2, she
never tried nursing him either, despite all the prenatal work I did with
her. When I ran into her with her now 15 month old last week, I noticed he
looked quite small, and a bit... I don't want to sound judgemental, but a
bit "off". I asked her how things were going and she told me a long story
how he had been so difficult to feed (sounded like suck problems) and
wouldn't tolerate any formula (GERD, seemed like strong allergies as well)
and she ended up feeding him SOY MILK !! baby has been living off adult soy
milk.

It amazed me that during all this time, no pediatrician or anyone else ever
suggested to her that she nurse the baby? This woman got all the statistics
from me prepartum; she knows how important breastmilk is, I can only wonder
why people make the choices they do. I asked her if I could share her
"formula horror story" with others, and she didn't see why not. Maybe she
thinks of her son's problem as a fault of the formulas that are available?

Michelle DePesa
equally mind boggled