From:
Evelyn Landry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 08:50:09 -0600
Patricia you asked about forming such a committee.  This past week we made
our 2nd effort to get a BF committee established.  Several years ago we
formed one with interested nurses, managers and the director of women's
services.  We even had an interested neonatologist meeting with us.  We
started working on the 10 Steps to Successful Breastfeeding.  After a few
months we had major changes in management, and it all fell apart because the
remaining members had no "decision" making authority.

This past week, with new managers and a new director in place, we started up
a BF committee again.  This time we have a volunteer nurse from each
department, Well Baby Nursery, Post-Partum, NICU, Labor & Delivery, Peds,
PICU, the OT that specializes in the infant feeding issues in NICU, the
Lamaze instructor, Nurse practitioner for NICU and another nurse who wants
to become an LC.  This time we agreed to have a "simple" goal - to improve
our BF success.  We are breaking down "assignments" for each member to go
back to their department and to first look at identifying "barriers" - from
the staff, physicians, patients that are in any way interfering with BF.

We exposed the committee to what Baby Friendly means, what BF as the "Gold
Standard" means - however we plan to move very slowly.  We want every
department to be "on board" -

Sometimes I think we scare staff when we say "baby friendly" - I am hopeful
that as we work on one obstacle at a time in each department, and continue
to educate the staff we will make changes.  Each year we hold a program open
to the community where we invite a panel of parents/celebrities/physicians
etc. to speak about breastfeeding.  This year one of the committee members
suggested that in addition to holding that program, we devote an entire day
all over the hospital focusing on breastfeeding.  I am really hopeful this
time that we will continue, especially with a new director who is presently
nursing her own 1st baby.

I know the key is going to be more education for the staff, but on a level
they are comfortable with - from their peers.  As we can get one more nurse
here and there fired up about BF, it is making a difference.  One of the
most vocal nurses at the meeting had recently attended one of Paula Meier's
programs for the NICU - that has really opened her eyes, and now it is not
just the LC talking about BF!

Management has to be involved - as we continue to define our goals, I hope
to include the physicians and administrators.

Hope this helps - I will also be waiting to see any other suggestions and
comments to your request.

Evelyn Landry, RN, IBCLC, RLC
Lafayette General Medical Center
Lafayette, Louisiana