Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 09:23:16 EDT
One of our unit teachers in the NICU provided me with information she
received from a neonatal listserv. They have been talking about breastmilk
storage containers. A RD from Ohio, Elaine Pool-Napp, has written an article
that raises concerns about using containers that are not meant for food
storage, i.e., specimen containers. Apparently they do not meet FDA
guidelines for food storage, and plastic may leach out into the milk. Now,
the article talks about storing milk in centrifuge tubes, why it was stored
there I have no idea, but it was noted the milk had a chemical smell.

The Human Milk Banking Association recommends hard sided aseptic containers
with caps that provide a tight seal. To this end we have been using specimen
containers. This information also states that formula reps said that the
bottles from sterile water or anything else were not safe for storage as they
are one time use only. Do not stand up to freezing, microwaving, or electric
dishwashing.

Supposedly Ross makes an EBM container in 4oz size, as well as Medela. I
assume they are talking about regular bottles.

I am wondering what NICU's are using to store their milk, and if this is
truly a problem, that is are the specimen containers taboo? My feeling is
that this is being blown out of proportion, that the plastic is no different
from that found in bottles or pump parts, but that it is not being used for
it's intended purpose, like when we use Reglan for it's side effect not it's
primary use.

I know this has been discussed before, but I am wondering what others think
of this new angle.

Thanks,
Lisa Enger RN BSN IBCLC
Boston, MA