From:
Barbara Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:37:56 EDT
Nikki,  Could you please clarify what you meant by your statement, "According
to the WHO, this course is equivalent in  preparation to that of the other
credentialed breastfeeding helpers: LLL, IBCLC,  CLE, NMC, etc."  Does this
mean that the WHO thinks that it takes the same amount of effort, study and
practice hours for all of these credentials?  I haven't seen the WHO statement,
so I want to be clear on this one.

As for certification, I think it is very important to make it clear that
there is a definite and very important distinction between "certification" and
"BOARD certification."  I'll include here an FAQ from the IBLCE website
explaining the differences, but in addition, the point I want to make, and one that I
believe is very important to our profession, especially in the US right now, is
that all 'breastfeeding helpers' are not the same.  All 'credentials' are not
equal.  To imply or suggest that they are, to fail to completely inform
mothers, prospective or current students, or employers, of the differences, hurts
our profession and is a potential cause for harm to the mother and infant.   If
we ourselves complain and lament that mothers, insurance companies, the
medical profession (including physicians and other allied health care
professionals), and hospitals don't adequately recognize our value and our services, and
yet we continue as a profession to allow 'certifications' that require less than
extensive education, hundreds or thousands of practice hours of clinical
practice hours, a rigorous, psychometrically valid examination process including
an exam developed by an international panel of subject matter experts,
lactation-specific education, and guaranteed continuing competence through
examination, it's our own fault 'we get no respect'.  I can't think of any other allied
health care profession that tolerates the same kind of behaviour.

Here is the FAQ:

What is the Difference Between the IBCLC Credential and Other Certifications?

FAQ:  I’m confused.  What is the difference between your credential and all
the others?

Answer:  It can be confusing, and often the consumer is even more confused
than the health professional.  There are two important facts to keep in mind:

            1.  “Certification” is not a legally defined term.  Anyone can “
certify” anyone for any type of knowledge or practice.  Even with the best of
intentions, course providers who cannot grant academic degrees have searched
for a term to use to indicate that a student has satisfactorily completed a
course of study.  Such terms as “Certified Lactation Educator (CBE)” and “
Certified Lactation Consultant (CLC)” are course completion certifications.  Some of
the courses that offer these course completion verifications are very well
designed and have built impressive reputations for quality preparation in their
local communities and throughout the country.  Other courses are of minimal
quality and the credentials they offer very only that a student has paid her
registration fee.  She may or may not have been present for the entire
presentation.  She may or may not have completed the suggested background reading or
completed the assignments.  And every variety of quality, from poor to
outstanding exists as well.  It is no wonder that confusion is rampant among consumers.

            2.  “Board Certification”  is more tightly defined.  It means
that the credential is offered by a body consisting of a board of directors
drawn from the profession represented and from the supervising and coordinating
professions with a stake in a quality certification, and that the exam offered
is as thorough, comprehensive, statistically valid and reliable as is possible
for the body representative of the profession to make it.  Board certification
is never associated with the completion of one specific preparation course
only; it represents achievement at a level determined by consensus of experts
across the breadth and depth of the field.  Depending on the credential, board
certification requires extensive preparation in the form of field-specific
education, substantial clinical experience, post-secondary education, and/or a
portfolio presentation.  In addition, to ensure the public that the professional
remains competent and current in her/his chosen field, recertification by exam
at regular intervals is required.   Such credentials are the professional
standard and are endorsed by the professional associations representing the
interests of the professionals who work in the designated fields.  The IBCLC
credential is endorsed by the International Lactation Consultant Association and is
accredited by the US National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) in
Washington, DC.

Comprehensive courses are an integral part of professional preparation.
Course completion, clinical experience, and board certification are all vital
components of preparation for practice.  A commonly recognized analogy would be
the BSN, a course completion certificate, and the RN, a board certification
required for practice.  If you are going to represent yourself to the public and
to your employer as an expert and professional in lactation management, you owe
it to both to obtain the best possible preparation, and also to demonstrate
acquisition of your skills and knowledge by passing a rigorous, independent
board certification examination.

Barbara Ash, MA, IBCLC, LLLL