From:
Kim Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:20:29 -0800
>Why use a spinal for a c section rather than an epidural. With an epidural
>you can give post operative patient controlled anesthesia via the epidural.
>It is wonderful (if you need the c section to begin with).  I am speaking
>from personal as well as professional experience here.

This is only my own experience but I can tell you why I chose a spinal over
an epidural for my last c-section. The c-section was scheduled due to a
transverse presentation that couldn't be turned. I had already had another
transverse baby and had some scary moments with her birth so our informed
decision led us to a scheduled c-section.

Anyway, I have pretty low blood pressure and was told that I would need two
IVs. I also knew I would have a catheter. As I really hate being hooked up
to things, the though of one more tube running into me was not an option.
The spinal for me was pretty easy. The hardest part was bending over for
the shot with my huge stomach in the way. The placement was fine and my
breathing was never effected. I also never got the spinal headache I'd been
told so much about.

For me, a spinal was the right decision.
Kim Balzer, LLLeader, Area Communications Coordinator LLL of N.CA/HI
The Milkie Way, Breastpump Rentals/Sales, Breastfeeding Accessories
Sebastopol, CA USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]