From:
Roni Chastain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 18:17:46 EDT
Greetings Friends,
I remember being invited to a 2 day conference on carseat safety. I just
couldn't imagine what could be taught that would take 2 days, so I just went
to the second day. Boy, was I in for a surprise. I learned so much in the one
day, I was truly amazed. The class was filled with childbirth educators,
police officers, firemen, and hospital nurses. I learned that there are cars
that are NOT compatible with car seats, and that some cars/vans have as many
as 5 different seatbelt systems. The class was offered free, including lunch,
by the transportation safety board.
I also remember teaching Lamaze classes to a local police officer. When I
inquired, he said he never gave tickets to parents with unbelted children. I
called him on that and told him he was NOT doing anyone a favor, especially
the children.  The next time I saw him, he was so proud of himself for
ticketing someone with an unbelted child.
I am always teaching, it is so rewarding when a lesson is learned!!!!
Roni Chastain, RN, LCCE, FACCE
Long Island, New York