From:
Cynthia Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:11:26 -0500
Hi all,

I cannot find anything in the archives on this issue. We have a Mom from
our clinic who is 3 weeks postpartum who needs a CT scan with contrast
of Iodine 123 or Optiray (sp?-notes not home here with me). This is not
a radioactive Iodine. The policy of the hospital is to have the Mom pump
and dump for 48 hours after the procedure to avoid the possibility of an
allergy in the infant to the Iodine. The Mom is willling to do that but
must first save up enough so she does not have to give formula. This
will entail her putting off the CT scan (which was ordered because of a
solid mass found on abdominal ultrasound months ago during her
pregnancy). She has seen the surgeon who ordered the CT scan.

It seems that 48 hours is a long time, given that some radioactive
Iodine half-lives require a much less time of discarding the milk.   Is
it really necessary to pump and dump? Is this common procedure? Mary
Douma , if you are there, this baby is a patient the child health
clinic. Can you help? And Tom Hale, what do you think?  Then the problem
is getting the hospital to make an exception to their policy.

Please e-mail me privately in addition to the list as i am NOMAIL right now.

Thanks
Cindy Church
Brrrrrrr in Lansing MI