Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 11:46:12 EDT
Please share this information with the list. Our inner city hospital also has
many physicians who prescribe Depo be given before D/C. Our RNs almost always
tell the mom that she could get it at her pp check and why it's not a good
idea to get it within the first week if she's bfing. our CNM practice
actually tells me that Depo at 6 weeks can increase milk supply. (I have not
ever seen that, especially in the young ladies who are pumping for a baby in
the NICU. Many times the milk is gone within days of her 6 week check up if
she gets Depo.  The literature from the company cautions against giving it
within the first 4 weeks. however, I have docs who are very opinionated about
this and will ORDER it to be given.  What I always tell women who DO elect to
take it is that they need to take it every 10 weeks. If you look at the
product literature about 3  month renewals, it says to get it at least 2
weeks prior to the 3rd month. And that is how these women come back with
another baby in a year. They get one shot and forget the next or get it too
late. AARRGGHH!
Mary Kay Smith, IBCLC
Romeoville IL