From:
Amy Macke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2010 00:23:15 -0400
I am wondering if anyone knows of a good video for parents (and staff) depicting feeding cues. We could make our own but would like to not reinvent the wheel if something is available - plus videoing and editing can take a lot of time in our hospital. We are starting a cue based /infant driven feeding program in our NICU and want part of our education to be showing parents (and nurses) what a baby acts like when they are ready to eat on their terms. This is very exciting. After being a NICU nurse for more than 20 years and an IBCLC for a just a little over a year this is such a huge step and very exciting! No more feeding the rock with chin and cheek support, pushing the nipple on the roof of the mouth to bolus and basically force feeding. The best part is that breastfeeding will no longer have the disadvantage of looking like the baby won't eat at the breast but will take a bottle when in fact they do not want to take the bottle but are being coersed by sometimes aggressive technique by the nurse or parent (baby goes home sooner when he can take all of his food by mouth and gain 15-30 grams per day LOL) Thinking this way makes feeding a baby a competition. It should instead be a developmental skill that emerges better when the baby is allowed to cue and someone is reading those cues accurately and allowing baby to latch on to the breast or take a bottle and stop when fatigue occurs or when he's satisfied.
Thanks for any input