From:
Dina Ovando-Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 07:55:10 GMT
Dear all,
these comments can be shared as needed.  I agree whole heartedly that the
push cart selling from room to room is a terrible idea on many levels.  One,
it totally "gadgetizes" ( is there such a word?)the whole breastfeeding
process before it even gets off the ground. One of the greatest attractions
about breastfeeding is its pure simplicity. Nothing to wash, heat, mix or
lug around. It is starting to sound like the AIM companies with their
insidious suggestions that "in case" something goes wrong here is this
back-up of AIM. Well, "in case" you can't breastfeed, here is a pump, or a
lotion for those sore nipples you most certainly will have, or a SNS ect...
Why is it people feel that they must attach a large monetary amount on
something in order to validate its importance? The push cart would most
definitely be seen as endorsing this concept. Isn't this already a problem
with AIM, especially among our immigrant and lower socioeconomic moms who
perceive it as "superior" because it must be bought and therefore an
affluent way of feeding? It would also pressure those who really can not
afford it to perhaps purchase something they do not need and can ill afford,
but feel pressure to at a vulnerable moment or because "the hospital must
think I need it" or worse, purchase a inferior substitute which may harm
them or their milk supply, thinking that they must need it or why else would
it have been displayed to them at the hospital?
Another, who will be giving the advice as to what they need? A volunteer who
most certainly will know nothing about breastfeeding, because if she did,
she would not being pushing the cart!
The money would be better invested in providing women with 24/7 quality
lactation coverage.
A better system would be-if an LC determines that equipment is truly needed
and shows the patient how to use the equipment ,a choice can be given to
either pick someone from a community resource list, or avail themselves from
the hospital who can provide what is needed from their outpatient pharmacy,
deliver it with written instructions and follow-up by the LC as needed.
Just some thoughts...need to run off now, I have to lift my shirt, latch on
my daughter and drift off into oblivion-too simple huh?

Dina Ovando-Brown BSN, CCE, IBCLC
Long Beach, CA