From:
Lisa Amir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 10:12:26 +1000
Hi everyone,
I'm being interviewed on Tuesday next week (for Australian Doctor magazine)
and they have given me some questions to discuss. Reasons why women stop
breastfeeding after hospital discharge and how GPs can help, are not too
hard. But I am looking for ideas about "medical consequences of long-term
breastfeeding" (how long? - I didn't think to ask). I have Kathy Dettwyler's
book (I love it!) - so this will be an opportunity to inform the medical
readers that breastfeeding 2, 3, 4 year olds is  actually normal (and not
uncommon, but often secretive). I can list nutritional, immunological,
cognitive and emotional benefits. Also, decreased risk to the mother of
breast cancer the longer she breastfeeds. Any other ideas about the
"medical' angle?
TIA,
Lisa Amir
GP / LC in Melbourne, Australia