From:
Jan Hasler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2019 19:44:42 -0400
The small rural hospital where I am an IBCLC has granted a trial period for obtaining and using donor breast milk from the Mother's Milk Bank of the Western Great Lakes. We are very excited for this to start!  However, in the recent past, we have had a couple of mothers wanting to use their friends' donor breast milk when they are not able to breastfeed/breastpump or are choosing not to.  Our babies are mostly healthy newborns. Common sense tells me that they can feed their baby what they want, however, there may be infection control implications since the milk they're using is not pasteurized. I would love to hear from any hospital who has a policy for this and any other paperwork (consent) used for this situation.