From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 16:24:57 -0400
I guess today is my day for running out of patience with our healthcare
system.

Re:  Breast vs. bottle for premies

>Is  taking MORE from the  bottle (premie or full term) necessarily a good
thing?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Yes, if you are the insurance company or the hospital administrator.<

            #####################

The part of the oath "First do no harm" refers to the patient not the
insurance company/hospital administrator.  We have to stand up for the
patient (here it is the premie).

>Bottle-feeding is faster.so it takes less time (another value in the USA -
aren't we strange?).<

            ####################

Yes, Dr. White, we are strange.  What are our priorities?  Our values?  As
an LC in private practice, I have seen premies a few days after discharge
whose parents were feeding 3 oz every 3-4 hours (per hospital instructions)
so that the 4-5 pounder could get more rest and supposedly conserve more
energy.  The babies were fussy/gassy, had "REFLUX" (vomiting frequently),
and were tense.as were the parents.  When I explained the size of the
stomach and how much the babies could hold comfortably at one feeding, it
made sense to the parents.  They switched to feeding about one ounce at a
time, without forcing if the babies did not want it, and feeding more
frequently.  Voila!  The babies changed.  They were no longer fussy/gassy,
no longer had "REFLUX" (no more vomiting), and were relaxed.as were the
parents.  Why is that so hard to achieve in the NICU?  Because the insurance
company or the hospital administrator has to be placated?

Yes, Dr. White, our value system in industrialized/Western nations is
strange.  Who suffers?  The patient, whether it be a premie, a full-term
baby, or an adult.

As I have said before, I only wish that we could clone you.one of the few
neonatologists/pediatricians who understands, cares, and is trying to change
the healthcare system.

Lee Galasso, MS, IBCLC, RLC